Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chiapas 02/2010: Tonina

After coming down from the majestic Chiapanecan mountains, we made our way to the ruins of the ancient Maya city of Tonina ( house of stone in Tzeltal Maya). I had been wanting to return to Tonina for quite a while because of the amazing discoveries which have been recently made... and I will tell you, I was not disappointed, not at all! Tonina is Masive, the main acropolis with its seven levels is nearly 80 meters tall and is adorned with some of the most impressive stucco work I have ever seen (and not to toot my own horn, but that is a lot). The structure also offers some incredible views, a labyrinth and truly amazing stelae. Just to give you an idea of how crazy these guys at Tonina were... these were the people who took down Palenque (no easy feat by any strech of the imagination).

What is visible in this photo is only about one third of this amazing acropolis complex, I will post some panoramics soon.

View from the top (reminds me a bit of Mixco Viejo, but on steroids)

Facade of the Labyrinth

Stelae of Jaguar Bird Peccary (6 century)

Recently uncover tomb on the 5th terrace

A shot of some of the hallways of the 4th level

Ballplayer preforming the chicken dance? a bit confusing... he does seem to be wearing the elbow pads and everything, but he is depicted with another 3 characters (not enough to depict a team)... beautiful but a bit bizarre.

Stucco representation of an anthropomorphic jaguar! (HELL YEA!)

I call this guy the break dance, not very scientific I know... but just look at him, Wonderful!

This is so dam cool, A life size stucco representation of Lord Ah Puch (ruler of the underworld) performing a ceremonial decapitation). Notice the upside down sun disk to his left... just amazing.

There is just so much to see at Tonina, and photographs really do not do it justice... it is now more than ever a must see!

2 comments:

Tom said...

OK, those were seriously cool photos, can't wait to see more!
Debi

Allison said...

Wow, I had never even heard of Tonino. Now I can't wait to go!