Sunday, May 30, 2010

Belize Archaeology Adventure 2010 Pt. 2 (Cahal Pech)

After my visit to Xunantunich I made my way to the nearby archaeological site of Cahal Pech. Unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worse and by the time I got to the site it was raining cats and dogs! (not literally of course). My main concern was for my cameras, and although I had my little water resist point and shoot, I knew I would want to bring out an SLR. I eventualy decided to brave the weather, put a big garbage back over my camera back which is already weatherproof and just shoot with the little point and shoot. Eventually the rain calmed down to the point were I could bring out the big canon, but the light was still quite terrible... oh well, at least I got to visit and photograph the site.

Cahal Pech is built on a hill on the outskirts of the town of San Ignacio. You can walk from the bus station of the town to the site in about 15 to 20 minutes, but keep in mind that the entire walk is uphill... so if you are feeling lazy you could always get a cab up to the site for about a buck or two. The site features arround 30 structures, the largest measuring 25 meters in height. There are several small pyramids and platforms as well as a ball court. The main palace complex is the most impressive structure on the site, it features a beautiful courtyard, some very interesting staircases and odd looking archways as well as fairly wide corridors.
Hope you enjoy the photos (and sorry for the poor lighting, I did what I could considering the weather!). Check back soon for photos of Belize's archaeological crown jewel, the famed city (and great rival of Tikal and Calakmul) of Caracol!







No comments: