Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sihunchen Eco-Archaeological Park

Today I went out with my dad to the Sihunchen Eco-Archaeological Park located in the municipality of Ucu . The park is actually the ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Sihiaunchen. The archaeological site has not been restored at all... so you really have to use your imagination. My dad and I counted 14 stone structures ranging in height from 2-10 meters... most of them being ceremonial platforms or parts of residential complexes and two being proper pyramidal buildings. The two most notable features where an enormous observatory and the main artificial platform on top of which the ceremonial center is located. The Eco-park is inhabited by many different birds, however we got there a bit late and thus missed most good photo ops with them! (surely next time!). Anyway all and all we had quite a nice time, if you are in to wilderness and archaeology I wholeheartedly recommend you take a look at Sihunchen and support the local community!

Old Spanish hacienda near the milpa

Very colorful little house in Ucu

My dad and Rosy (our guide)

View from atop one of the pyrmaids

Hands off!

Second tallest pyramidal structure at the site (about 7m)

My dad climbing!

View of the acropolis

Surrounding countryside

Hope you enjoyed the pics, check back soon for more adventures!

No comments: