Thursday, October 22, 2009

El Meco (Mayan Archaeological site in Cancun)

Well once again I managed to find the time to get out there and explore during my business trip to Cancun, hooray more archaeology! Today during my time off I made my way to "El Meco" a small archaeological site just north of the Cancun city center. The site is small but very beautiful with many birds and iguanas roaming the grounds. It is ironic that being so close to the hotel zone it is so sparsely visited... when I showed up the security guard acted surprised to see a visitor and even asked how I found out about the sites existence. There was nobody other than me at the site and a group of restoration experts working on a stucco wall (who were very nice and let me take some pics of them as they worked). Getting to the site is very easy, you can take a cab (35-50 pesos) or even take the city bus (just 5.5o pesos) so there is no excuse not to go and sober up from a prior night of debauchery in Cancun =)






3 comments:

JohnnyP said...

Thanks for the info. We are satying on Isla Mujeres and want to check out some ruins that are not 12-16 hrs away.
John And Barb
Kincardine, Ontario
Canada

Carlos Rosado said...

Great! but if you are going to be in Cancun you should really try to get to Coba. There is also interesting work being done in some smaller sites south of Tulum. Enjoy the Yucatan!

sbobet said...

very beautiful with many birds and iguanas roaming the grounds. It is ironic that being so close to the hotesbo
sbo
l zone it is so sparsely visited... when I showed up the